Beta Projects act as cost-effective trials and serve to address key issues that the City Council is seeking to understand before implementing.
They have the following 5 characteristics.
1. Action-based and Evidence-based
- Demonstrate by quickly creating a trial and then measuring results to test assumptions. "Good today is better than perfect next week."
2. Lean Resourcing
- Trial for only as long as is required to test assumptions.
- Only make solutions as ‘big’ as they need to be to test the idea.
3. Reversible and Flexible
- Solutions should be designed to allow for learning and change.
4. Sustainable and Resilient
- Create a solution which is able to sustain itself over time and is also resilient to shocks.
5. Scalable or Transferable
- Think big. Start small.
- Consider how to widen the return on any investment.
You can follow the progress of all Beta Projects in the Beta Projects Pipeline.