Beta Projects act as cost-effective trials and serve to address key issues that the City Council is seeking to understand before implementing.
They have the following 5 characteristics.
1. Action-based and Evidence-based
- Demonstrate by quickly creating a trial and then measuring results to test assumptions. "Good today is better than perfect next week."
2. Lean Resourcing
- Trial for only as long as is required to test assumptions.
- Only make solutions as ‘big’ as they need to be to test the idea.
3. Reversible and Flexible
- Solutions should be designed to allow for learning and change.
4. Sustainable and Resilient
- Create a solution which is able to sustain itself over time and is also resilient to shocks.
5. Scalable or Transferable
- Think big. Start small.
- Consider how to widen the return on any investment.
You can follow the progress of all Beta Projects in the Beta Projects Pipeline.
Could we use plant boxes to reduce the amount of stormwater entering our drains, whilst also greening our streets?
Could a shared, collaborative, working space have a dual purpose as a standard meeting room for Dublin City Council staff?
Should residents be able to apply to park their bicycles in an onstreet, shared, bicycle hangar near their home?
Should Dublin temporarily increase the amount of bicycle parking during the Summer half of the year?
Businesses can apply to put tables and chairs on the pavement. Could they apply to use car parking spaces in a similar way?
Should people be allowed paint artworks onto the city's traffic light boxes? Might that solve a maintenance issue for the Council?
The street art community wants more walls on which they can paint. Might allowing that also solve some maintenance issues?
This Beta Project will look at the problem of love locks on the Ha’Penny Bridge (and neighbouring bridges and Boardwalk).
Could we help support the creation of an adult coding group for Dublin which solely focuses on civic issues and opportunities?
Could we expand our libraries onto streets - allowing people to download books on the fly? For example, when waiting for the bus?
Could the large number of vacant properties in Dublin be temporarily used to display emerging artists?
The aim of this project is to learn about moss graffiti, and whether it might be a useful solutions for certain situations.